All we did was remove the doors (numbered them using masking tape with their coordinating cabinet, like #1 door goes with #1 cabinet) and all the hardware. Then we washed the doors really well and lightly sanded them to rough up the surface a little (they're laminate). We primed them with a high quality primer and painted them with a high quality gloss paint from Lowes. We even recycled the old hinges and painted them black, but we put on new handles.
On a fresh out of grad school budget, we also painted some of our appliances. We bought high heat resistant appliance paint and painted our oven, stove and dishwasher. I think we used Rustoleum brand and it left a nice factory finish.