Thursday, March 19, 2009

DIY- Do It Yourself


I have been on a quest to find some of those decorative balls that are really popular right now. I needed to find some black and white ones but was unable to find any that I liked so I decided to take matters into my own hands and make my own.

I tore up some pages from a childrens book that we've had for awhile that my kids have never picked up. I bought some 4-inch styrofoam balls from Walmart and Glossy Mod Podge and went to work. It was messy because you basically have to do it with your fingers. I dipped the strips of paper in the Mod Podge and then smoothed it over the ball. It really didn't take long and I love the end result.
They are not really heavy, obviously since they are styrofoam but they are virtually indestructible.



I liked those so much that I had my 6-year-old daughter draw me some simple black on white stick figures, hearts, stars, etc. and I made one using those.


I liked them so much that today I started some more, but this time I cut up some vintage sheet music and pasted those on. I'm going to make a few to put in a cute basket on my piano. I love how these are turning out even more than I like the other ones.


My girls saw me doing them and wanted to help, so we decided to make some for their bedroom, so this is one we started today.


It's still drying. When we finish them all I'll have to post a picture. And then I think we better stop before it's overkill. :)

But think of the possibilities...fabric, scrapbook paper, your favorite wallpaper, tissue paper, fuzzy fabric, moss...

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh. my. heavens! Jen Frank gave me the link to this post, and it is FABULOUS! What a perfect idea! I've been looking for something to do for some spheres at my house and I. Love. This. I think I might tackle this project this weekend, and post about it next week. I'll link to you, of course. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Jennifer said...

Yay!!!! I'm so glad Wendy popped over to check out your post. I love this blog, but I rarely comment because I'm just lazy :) I think these are so fun. Can you believe I've never ever used Modge Podge??? I really don't even know what the heck it is. Well... I might have to try it now, because these are cool.

Rob, Brooke, Caleb, Sophie and Jake said...

Oh my gosh what a great idea!!!! I have a bag of styrofoam balls and have been wanting to do something with them, but I couldn't decide what...moss was just to generic. But THIS is perfect! I am so doing this. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I love them what a great idea and gifts for next Christmas.

Heidi said...

What did you use on the purple one? Is that fabric, tissue paper?

Janet said...

The purple one is fabric.
The small green ones in the other post are scrapbook paper.

frillsfluffandtrucks said...

Love these! :)

~ Sarah

Anonymous said...

These look just great! I have this linked to my decorative balls post today, come on over and take a peek!