Friday, April 17, 2009

A Non-Chocolate Recipe

Last week we got our assignments for our big family Easter dinner. I was put in charge of the salad. Boooooring. I know that Rebecca was considering that I was visiting from out of town and I was basically a single mother of 4 for a few days until my husband got there. She is nice that way. So since I like to cook I spiced up the salad a little.

The recipe comes from my awesome friend, Jeanette. She probably doesn't remember but it was the first thing I ever ate at her house after we met and it was so good. I like it so much, I made it again, two days after Easter. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture, which was dumb of me but here it is anyway.

Mixed Green Salad

1 bag spring baby greens
1 tomato, chopped
1/4 sweet onion, chopped
4 to 6 mushrooms, chopped
2 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Lite Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette (Ken's Brand is great)
1 cup chopped almonds or pecans (pecans for me)
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Toss greens, tomatoes, onion, mushrooms and Feta cheese.
To make the sweet and spicy nuts: Melt butter in saute pan. Add nuts and cook 3 to 5 minutes. Add sugar and spices and cook until well coated. (This doesn't take very long - if you overcook them, they become hard.) Cool. Add dressing and nuts just before serving.

*Add dressing according to your taste but don't overdo it. But don't underdo it either. :)
Oh, and chop the veggies small. I think it makes a difference. Nothing worse than getting a giant bite of onion with some dressing on it. This way you can get a bite of everything at the same time.

No comments: